May 12, 2014

Rate the Look - EXO's "Overdose"



This post is about 1 month old now, as I wrote it in the beginning of April, prior to both the album and video release. I had initially planned to release it as soon as the MV was out, but as you all now that didn't happen until very recently. So, what was I to do with this pretty much finished review? It felt a bit awkward to post it anyway, so I just kept on hold until the time was right. And that time is now, ladies and gentlemen.



Xiumin

This haircolor is a quite risky one, as it really depends on the person whether it will look good or not. It could be either a great decision or a horrible one, but for EXO's oldest hyung Xiumin, it was the former one. I am quite surprised by how much I like this style on him, because I generally don't find him all too appealing. His looks are apparently really popular in South Korea, and I guess I can see why, being the only member in the group without double eyelids really makes him stand out too. 

Score: 8/10

Luhan


I honestly think it's impossible for Luhan to look anything other than mind-blowingly beautiful all the time. He's just got that kind of face whose beauty no one can deny. His only weakness is that he can also never look anything other than like a pretty fairy, so when EXO wants to do a tougher, manlier concept, he sticks out like a sore thumb. He doesn't look bad, not ever, but there are concepts he fits more or less. Also, the ponytail he's been sporting (in the video for example) is actually really hot, and I'm not ashamed to say it. Guys in short ponies are my guilty pleasure.

Score: 8/10

Kris


Kris looks hot. End of story.
Seriously though, these photos do not do him even the slightest justice at all. Judging from the fantaken pictures from the comeback event and the Japanese fan meeting they had earlier, Kris has pretty much never looked this good. The color is a nice medium brown and he works it both styled down and up. I would want to use a photo taken by a fan but I don't want to get into any copyright trouble so I'll let you do the searching yourself. Trust me, you will not regret it. 

Score: 10/10

Suho


I have a theory that Suho was forced to wear a hat due to an unfinished bleaching process, but maybe SM has just got a thing for hats. This is one of the guys of the group that I had the most trouble identifying in the beginning, because his looks were very common. He just looked average, well, a good looking average, but failed to make an impression. However, he has just become more and more handsome as time has passed, and he looks like a 1000 times more attractive now than by the time of their debut.
Oh, and the blonde hair is actually not too bad.

Score: 9/10

Lay


Wow, here comes a stunner. I was never really a fan of Lay's blonde hair that he wore for a while, so I'm ecstatic that he's now back to a much nicer shade of black. What's funny about Lay is that he's actually really attractive, but his childish and odd personality is what you associate him with instead. I suppose it can be both a good and a bad thing, but I'm happy that he now has a hairstyle that truly enhances his sharp facial features and great jaw structure.

Score: 8/10

Baekhyun


Baekhyun is the kind of guy who can work almost any hair color, both really light blonds and dark browns. For this comeback, he's gone back to black, and it's a very flattering choice for him. He has some very delicate facial features, and can (and does) easily transcend into the cute, adorable zone from time to time. His real-life personality is more on the chatty, positive and energetic side, but a hair color like this can make him seem more serious and manly. He is also known to wear a ton of eyeliner, and you can be sure he looks amazing in it in ways I wish I could.

Score: 8/10

Chen


Here's another guy whose looks have improved tremendously over the years. From looking like a lost school-boy to with no confidence and remembrance, he's now matured into a young, self-aware and confident young man. I think he really got to show his personality a lot more last year, promoting in his homeland where he feels more comfortable, and that has in itself made him a lot more appealing.
This dark haircut works really well for him, but it's nothing particularly remarkable about it.

Score: 7/10

Chanyeol


It seems Chanyeol has become South Korea's new favorite visual, and it's not too difficult to see why that is. He has big eyes, perfect white teeth, an impressive height and overall good body and face proportions. Chanyeol has too, matured a lot since 2012, and I am a bit irritated over the fact that they all age so well. He looks nothing less than great with this cut and color, and there's not really much more to say about that.

Score: 7/10

D.O


I'm realizing now this post is going to be very long. But what can you do when a group has 12 members?
Anyway, moving along. D.O, or Kyungsoo as his real name is, just keeps getting hotter and hotter with every comeback. I remember in the beginning when everyone thought he was the cutest little thing and found everything he did adorable, but now he has managed to shred that image pretty well. The big, messy hairstyle helps a lot in making him appear manlier and tougher, and in my opinion, a lot hotter as well.

Score: 9/10

Tao


Yeah, I'm not a fan of Tao's look for this comeback. He's the sort of guy who can look great with the right hairstyle, color, styling and angle, but he can also look not so great. I have to say though, this particular type of cut hardly looks good on anyone no matter how good looking (fine, Jung Woo is an exception), so I don't blame it all on Tao. I blame it on his hairstylist.

Score: 6/10

Kai


I still haven't fully decided whether I love or hate this look on him. In certain lights and angles, it looks amazing, but in others, it looks terrible. I think it all comes down to personal preference really, but my overbearing thought is that the color is not very suiting for his darker skin tone. That's why the lightning matters. In general I find that those who have a naturally darker tone to their skin looks better with darker colors. Kai has had a darker shade of blonde previously too, and I think that looked a lot better, but this color has me a bit torn.

Score: 7/10

Sehun


Oh Sehun. Or more like: Oh, Sehun. Talk about growing up handsomely. He looks so goddamn attractive these days I have trouble staying calm whenever I see a new picture of him. He has really made a transition from a teenager to a young man, and he has done it so well. This haircut makes him look even more mature, manly and just overall amazing. For someone who has had every color from the rainbow and beyond, a natural brown is what truly works the best for him.

Score: 9/10

Overall


There's two sides to this comeback: the beautiful one and the ugly one. On one hand, you have these wonderful, stunningly gorgeous teaser pictures but then there's the video. Stylists, what in God's name were you thinking? I adore the black and white and I adore the suits, but those baggy hip hop clothes brought back from the 90's? Just NO. It makes me genuinely upset because it really brings down the overall score, considering I really had no complaints about anything else. Such a shame.

Total Score: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment