Jan 28, 2014

A Sassy Debut For Kiss&Cry

tumblr_mztsaiU2kV1tq6krzo1_500.jpg
I have to admit, I don't care about rookies at all unless they're from a somewhat known company or if they have a really unique concept. It's all the same nowadays, the same type of songs with the same type of clothes and styling. I actually feel bad for the majority of them, because most of the rookies that have debuted within the last three years or so will never be famous or achieve the success they dream of. This doesn't imply that they are bad in any way, but both South Korean fans and international fans already have their favorite groups and if you're like me and have a dozen, you don't have the need to engage in yet another one.

So by that standard, I usually wouldn't click and watch a new video by a rookie group, but for some reason (probably boredom) I decided to see what this new group Kiss&Cry was about. Let me tell you one thing, I am less than disappointed to have made that decision.






I know very little of the individual girls or their agency Winning Insight, who apparently also hosts Mr.Mr and Airplane, and the now disbanded Piggy Dolls and Chaos. Overall I would say, not a fantastically impressive record. As it shows, member Dia has released tons of solo material, Yumi used to be in a group called VNT and Bohye was previously known as Miu from vocal trio Bella. From this you can gather that they all have some experience between them, and that's never a bad thing.
Like I said previously, I didn't expect much out of it, but from the first 5 seconds I was hooked. The latin vibes and rhythm as well as the smooth vocals was an instant approval from my side, and while the video is pretty low budget, the girls really make the most out of it.

tumblr_mztx4bF2q51tq6krzo1_500.jpg

Concept 
I'm not quite sure actually, because while the girls are leaning more on the sexy side in terms of styling, it's obviously not the main selling point of this group. They all look very mature, secure and confident, which I like. A little on the older side (being idols, so to speak) and three out of four having been working with music previously, it seems like this time they might get it right.

Scenery
The low budget invested in the making of this video is painfully obvious. The two main sets are a library and a white room which is used in two different ways (different lightning and props), and really don't contribute anything to the song or reflect the lyrics. The solo shots of member Haena take place in what looks like a bedroom and Bohye lies on a kitchen counter? A bit random maybe but it's at least better then Dia who gets stuck in the library on an armchair playing with some poker markers or Yumi who's surrounded by balloons.
Conclusion; Not the best sets to have ever been used in a kpop music video.

Styling
I like the styling of the girls, but it seems a bit disjointed. There are three main editions of outifts, two of them being the ones in the pictures above, and a third one that just looks a bit out of place. I really don't know how to describe it in a realistic way so you'll have to check it out yourselves, but it clashes a bit with the rest. Otherwise I think they all look good, the makeup and hair are no problem and even if the clothing is a bit questionable, it's definitely not the worst I've seen.

tumblr_mztxqq1jQ21tq6krzo1_500.jpg

Choreography
I didn't love the choreography for this dance, but there was some pretty eye catching moments. The move around 0:46 with all the girls in a row moving their arms was cool and reminded me of the similar (although slightly more mind blowing) move in SHINee's Lucifer choreography. There's also a dance break at the end with Yumi and Bohye, and they are killing it! Bohye doing the splits especially was very impressive. Actually, all the girls have great presence and energy, and the more fast paced dance routine is full of attitude and confidence. 

Conclusion
Well, it's not everyday I actually genuinely enjoy a debut this much. It's most often generic and a bit boring, like Got7's debut, but I found myself enjoying this and wanting to see more of them. The video, however, isn't very good, mostly because of the low budget and cheap sets. It's a shame really, because these girls can work it. They had their debut stage on Music Core on Saturday, and while some parts could use more practice, they all sounded great and performed really well. I can see a bright future for these girls, and I'm just hoping they get to promote properly so that everyone can see the potential that lies in Kiss&Cry.

Total Score: 2,8/5


No comments:

Post a Comment