Jan 5, 2014

Double The "Something", Double The Fun!

After a year of successful promotions in Japan, the kings of kpop have returned to Korea to celebrate their 10th anniversary. So first of all, congratulations to you TVXQ for surviving this long. Obviously I am also congratulating the JYJ members, but for now I am focusing on Yunho and Changmin and their latest release "Something".






This song is actually quite good and a step in a new musical direction for these boys. I wasn't a huge fan of "Catch Me" or "Humanoids" but I found myself jamming along to this on my first listen. It is very jazzy and groovy and flatter their individual voices as well. The choreo looks super interesting and fun and they pull it off really well as always.
I usually dislike any mv that SM releases because reasons, but this was not nearly as boxy as it could have been. Yes, I know they are still dancing in a box but it doesn't feel that way. It suited the style of the song and the sets were not oddly lit white rooms, thank goodness. The styling is on point; my self proclaimed husband Yunho looks gorgeous and Changmin looks good too. Well, except from that hair. Please get a haircut, I beg of you.
My only real problem with this video are all the women that hoover around the boys. This is something that is not only seen in kpop but everywhere in the world, and it just makes me really uncomfortable. The women are used merely as props, as beautiful trophies for the boys to brag about. It doesn't sit well with me, and it doesn't make Yunho or Changmin look particularly good either.


This live performance on MBC Music Core is my favorite so far, with great camerawork och an energetic performance. The vocals are solid and the dancing is too. These boys have so much stage presence they could pull anything off really. Yunho in particular really shines in this, his dancing is sharp and powerful and you can tell how much he enjoys it.


The rising girl group Girl's Day had a great 2013, with their tracks "Expect Me", and "Female President" both getting them more fans and more recognition by the public. I liked both releases (the former a bit more though) and I am happy that they have become more popular. Girl's day released their new title track "Something" on January 2nd and conquered the world with their sexiness. Seriously though, have you seen the teaser pics? These girls look good.
The song is quite pleasant, a bit mellow and at a slower tempo á la Sistar. Their vocals sound good and the choreo is just fine except some awkward parts here and there. The styling for this concept is very similar to Park Ji Yoons "Adult Ceremony" and it works wonderfully.
The video itself doesn't really do much for me, mainly because all they do is look sexy and dance seductively, which is great if your satiesfied with that obviously, but I'm not. Their previous videos had a bigger impact on me, this is just a bit too forgettable.


Again I chose their comeback stage on Music Core really only because the outfits are prettier here than on KBS Music Bank.  I think they do what they're supposed to do just fine, but overall the stage is a bit boring and lacklustre. I really enjoy the song though, and Sojin and Minahs vocals are great as usual.

As for who hade the better Something comeback, I have to say TVXQ although Girl's Day are strong contenders as well. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment