Feb 8, 2014

It's A "First Sensibility" For BAP



I've been following BAP ever since I first got into Kpop almost two years ago, and I've been loving almost everything they've released since then. I absolutely loved the Power EP, as well as the mini albums for No Mercy and One Shot. I always though they had a distinct, unique style, one that was not very common for other idol groups. It was masculine, aggressive and intense, and I think a lot of people were impressed. Now finally, two years after debut, they've released their first full length album First Sensibility, and signals a change in sound.



The album opens with intro B.A.P, a song announcing their comeback to the music scene. BAP has always had great intros, and this one is just as good, sounding truly like what you would expect from them. It's full of confidence and plays on their image as the tough, manly guys.
1004(Angel) comes next, and is by far my favorite song on this album. The funny thing is though, that it doesn't sound very much like BAP at all. That doesn't mean it's not a good song, though, but it's definitely a change in sound. It's very pop-rock, with it's catchy guitar line and matching "ooh's". The structure of the song is splendid, and I love the build-up during the pre-chorus. Everyone sounds good, and the raps shared between Bang Yongguk and Zelo do not sound misplaced but are rather well fitted.

The tempo slows down for next song Easy, a quite smooth sounding song that also reflects the thoughts after a break up. It's very simplistic from a musical standpoint, with minimal instruments and effects. Instead, the vocals and rap are the focus of the song. The sound itself is very similar to that of Coffee Shop from their latest mini album, with piano being the main driving force. It's a nice song, but it doesn't leave much of a lingering sensational feeling.
It's back to the One Shot era with Spy, a faster, more upbeat track with some nice horns and record scratching. It feels very 90's styled, or at least parts of it do. I don't know what it is about this song but I just can't seem to get into it. I should really like it, because it's truly a BAP sounding tune and has all of the right ingredients, but it merely seems like a weaker version of something that they've done before.


Check On follows the same pattern as the previous song, but it's slightly more laid back and relaxed in its composition. Bursting with confidence, the song is an epitome of the classical BAP attitude we are so used to. I like the song, it's easy to hum along to and it's very sexy in its self praising. 
It's another slow burner for Shady Lady, which opens sensually with some rapping from Zelo and continues with sweet vocals from Jongup, Himchan, Daehyun and Youngjae. The song is a love confession towards their Shady Lady, saying all the things a girl wants to hear; how pretty she is just when she wakes up or how she's just as beautiful without fancy clothes or makeup. It's a pretty sweet song, but musically it doesn't do very much. 

I get serious Infinite vibes from next song Lovesick, it's that mixture of lighthearted synthesized pop with some rock influence from the guitars. Another love song, as that seems to be the theme for the entire album, and man is it cheesy. I wouldn't expect this type of track from this group, and I think it's definitely catchy, but I don't necessarily think it fits them the best. 
Oh my goodness, is that Yongguk singing in the beginning oh Bang x2? I already love this song. 
In all seriousness though, this is the rock song of the album, and I love it. It's high energy, full of attitude and fighting spirit. The song is about throwing your worries away and living life to the fullest. Of course, in a more "let's rebel against the world" kind of way, typical BAP style. Daehyun's high note at the end is amazing and adds to the rocky feeling even more. 


S.N.S really lives up to its name when it practically starts with them asking the girl to tweet them a mention. It's pretty funny actually, but damn is this song a jam. It's more mid-tempo, so it's not as slow as Easy and Shady Lady, and it has that burning sexiness that makes it more interesting. 
Body & Soul sounds to me like it could be a song of SHINee's first album. It has that soft R&B ballad type of sound with powerful vocals and great raps. What I feel is missing from this song is some kind of clear structure. I had a hard time pointing out the verses and chorus and they didn't really have much of an impact on me when I did. Apart from Daehyun's vocal chops the song never goes anywhere, there's no real build or climax, which in my opinion makes it a bit forgettable. 

We already heard a glimpse of Save Me in the video for 1004(Angel), as it featured the same way Coma did in the video for One Shot. I am a bit frustrated with this song, actually, because I love the beginning of it. The grungy guitars, desperate rapping about betrayal and loneliness and the "Get away, don't say my name" parts are brilliant, but then the chorus happens. I have a hard time with songs switching from minor to major, because the mood of the song gets completely turned upside down. This is what happens here, and I don't like it. It's a shame, because I feel like it could have been amazing all the way through otherwise.
B.A.B.Y is dedicated to their fanbase, also named BABY, and it's a lovely song to give to their fans who have always shown unconditional support. It even has the concert type of feeling, because there are some fans screaming and chanting during snippets of the track, probably recorded at one of their shows. I can imagine loving this as a fan, especially a Korean one, and it is a good song. It's poppy and bright and contrasts the previous song like black and white.


The album finishes with With You, another mid-tempo song that definitely feels like a closer. No surprise here with the love themed lyrics, and the soft vocals and music really bring the meaning of the song alive. The song is quite one dimensional though, it keeps the same pace and intensity throughout, but I actually don't mind. It's one of those songs that don't need a lot of things happening to keep it interesting or exciting. It's perfectly fine the way it is, and makes for a short but sweet end to the album. 

Conclusion
I have pretty mixed thoughts about this album, because from an objective point-of-view, it's definitely a decent album. However, from my personal perspective, I am a bit disappointed with the album. Not that it's bad, its just that I was expecting something else. I have grown pretty fond of BAP's rockier, more intense songs, the ones with lots of attitude and energy. Instead we get a quite mellow album, with just as many low-tempo songs that are sweet and melodious. Obviously it's important and necessary to evolve musically as a group, but that's not the main problem with this album. I know I normally don't like slower songs as much, but to me the majority of the tracks were a bit bland, as in they felt like filler songs. Having built up such a magnificent discography, I can't help but feel like this is their weakest release to date.
To end on a more positive note; one thing that I noticed was that the distribution of lines between the members felt a lot more even and balanced compared to before. Himchan and Jongup have always gotten the short end of the stick, so I'm happy for them to be more involved in this project. 

Highlights: 1004(Angel), Bang x2, S.N.S, Save Me
Least Favorite: Body & Soul
Total Score: 3,4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment