Mar 2, 2014

I "Can't Stop" Listening to CNBlue's New Mini


One of my absolute favorite groups music-wise (and in other ways too of course) is finally back after over a year with new mini album Can't Stop. I would have really wanted for CNBlue to release a full Korean album this time around, but considering they recently released a Japanese one it wasn't very likely. I think it's very interesting how this group handles their Korean and Japanese activities and releases so differently, because so far they only have 1 full Korean album against 4 Japanese ones. I would say that in general, they prefer the Japanese market and that market likes them too, but their 2013 Korean mini Re:Blue was absolutely great so I was very much looking forward to this. 




The album opens up with the title track of the same name as the album Can't Stop, and it's really an unexpected surprise. It's very different from I'm Sorry, a song that totally fit my style of music, and therefore I was a bit taken back by it at first. It starts out slowly, with only Yonghwa's lovely voice and some pretty piano playing. Already here we can hear the violins that are featured throughout the song in a very prominent way. The chorus, in contrast to the verses, is upbeat, cheerful and clearly suitable for spring. The whole song is very beautiful, and although I would have preferred a bit more of Jonghyun's vocals, I still like how their voices play off each other because they are so different from one another. I didn't instantly love this song, because it sounded a bit too much like some of their older Korean title tracks and I prefer a slightly heavier sound in general, but it has really grown on me. 

Next up is Diamond Girl, another song that takes on a jazzier sound, just like it seems the new trend in Kpop is so far this year (see TVXQ's Tense and IU's Modern Times from the ending of last year) and it really goes full out with the wood wind instruments. The melody, chord structure and tempo reminds me a bit of Maroon 5, a band I know CNBlue cites as one of their influences. It's not as bright as the previous, but still remains lighter in terms of the instrumental. It's catchy, to say the least, and I really enjoy listening to it. 

The third track Cold Love is by far my favorite (and everyone else's too it seems) song on this album. It just hits all the right spots, pulls at all your heartstrings and touches your heart directly at first listen. I don't even know the exact lyrics but I can still feel the emotion and the heartbreak, and that says a lot about how well written and performed this song is. It's a rock ballad, essentially, full with angst, pain and rawness. I cannot wait to hear this song live, I feel like it will be even more amazing on the stage.

Jonghyun's compositions always have this certain sound, and Sleepless Night is no exception. It sounds a bit like A Guy Like Me, but this, I would say, is slightly more interesting and less like an OST. It's easy and breezy but with some rockier undertones, but there's nothing especially memorable about it, unfortunately.
The same type of sound continues with Love Is..., but this feels more like a ballad than the previous. It's a bit slower and features some violins to add to the sweet feeling of the track. I like how Jonghyun and Yonghwa take turns in singing, as it adds more variety, and I love the contrast between their voices. It's a very beautiful song indeed, but I'm extremely partial to slower songs so it's not up there among my favorites of this album.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who instantly thought of Coldplay when final track Like A Child started playing. There is some clear and obvious similarities to the British rock band, and I'm a fan of that sound so I really approve of this song. The classical instruments play a big part in creating this sound and giving it that majestic, uplifting feeling. Just like every other song on this album, it's very pretty in its musicality and grandness and makes a great finish.


Conclusion
I didn't love the album on first listen- I liked it, but modestly. However, as I've listened to it several times, I come to really appreciate it a bit more. It features a range of sounds and influences, and I give mad props to Yonghwa (and Jonghyun) for putting out such great, well thought out and worked through material. These guys are mad talented, I tell you. It's certainly different from their 2013 release, but it's still very much them, and I'm sure a lot of their fans love this type of CNBlue. I'd say that it's a bit more public and radio friendly, a bit more refined, but it still shows a great and wonderful maturing in their musicality.

Highlights: Cold Love, Can't Stop, Diamond Girl
Total Score: 3,6/5


No comments:

Post a Comment