Mar 15, 2014

Rate The Look - SNSD's "Mr.Mr."


Welcome to the first rendition of "Rate The Look", as I will talk you through the styling for each member of a group for their comeback. Undeniably, one of the most exciting things about comebacks is to see what looks they will rock (or not), and this matters very much considering how visually based the entertainment industry. Groups will try different concepts that match their hair colors, makeup and clothes and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Today's featured group is none other than the Queens of Kpop; Girls' Generation, who recently came back after over a year of hiatus with Mr.Mr.



Taeyeon

I'm going to be honest, I don't like the bangs. I hardly like bangs on anyone, and dorky leader Taeyeon is no exception. I also am not a huge fan of the darker hair on her, I feel like her features are flattered a lot more in lighter haircolors, as well as her personality. However, she works the hell out of that suit and hat, so I'll give some bonus points for that.
Score: 7/10

Jessica

Jessica is always pretty, not going to lie, but she also always looks exactly the same. She has had basically the same color and cut for ages now, and as much as it suits her, I think it's become a bit boring. I loved the long, straight hair with a middle part that she had in I Got A Boy and in a few performances (although that could be because she reminded me of Krystal...), and I wish she would try something new soon. 
Score: 6/10

Sunny

Again with those goddamn bangs! I though we had grown out of that hairstyle but apparently we hadn't. In all seriousness though, I'm just thankful she looks like a normal person again after the hair catastrophe that was "I Got A Boy", and even if she has bangs, I'm willing to overlook it. The color looks lovely on her, although I would have preferred an even lighter one. I also miss her short blonde bob, because that was the best she's ever looked. 
Score: 7/10

Hyoyeon

My goddess Hyoyeon, how you always manage to blow me away. You have been working this blonde do for several years now and it still never fails to amaze me every time I see it. 
Leaving the bias behind, I'm not sure there's any other idol who has undergone such a transformation during the last couple of years. I remember my first encounter with this group and how my eyes were instantly drawn towards her (this was during The Boys' era), and this color does her so many favors. It was almost becoming a bit too light for a while when she was on Invincible Youth 2, but it's slightly darker now so it doesn't look as unnatural. 
Score: 8/10

Tiffany

Tiffany can wear and has worn almost every hair color, so there's really no surprise in seeing what she might try next unless it's something really crazy like green or blue. The black, long hair makes a beautiful contrast against her pale skin and makes her look a bit like a famous Disney princess. She does look stunning, but it's nothing groundbreaking and does not give me the "wow" factor, no matter how pretty. 
Score: 7/10

Yuri

Yuri is sexy and she knows it, but I could really do without that ombre. She actually doesn't have that coloring in the teaser pictures (hence why I used this one instead) but she has it in the video and all the live performances so she probably dyed it after those pictures were taken. I don't think lighter colors suit her as well, because her skin is a bit tan, so I wish her entire hair would have been the same, darker color. Just like Taeyeon though, she really knows how to wear a suit and make it look hot. 
Score: 6/10

Sooyoung
 

I've always found Sooyoung one of the prettiest members of SNSD, and just like with Hyoyeon she left a very strong first impression on me. I remember specifically watching videos of them back in 2012 and thought she was just absolutely gorgeous, more so than any other member at that time. For this comeback, she has a very similar color and cut, and I'm just overjoyed she got rid of her bangs. This is not on the same level as The Boys, because that era was perfect, but it's pretty goddamn near. 
Score: 9/10

Yoona
 

One cannot speak about visuals without mentioning Yoona, right? 
I have to say I used to find her appearance overrated, but I've grown to like her more as a person by seeing her in dramas and other shows, and so I have started to like her visuals more too. She just looks like an angel, and I love this darker hair on her because it makes her look more womanly and mature. 
Score: 9/10

Seohyun

We're saving the best for last with maknae Seohyun, whom for some reason have climbed all the way up my bias list for the last months or so. It started with My Oh My and has only continued with this comeback. I can't quite put my finger on it, because there's really nothing spectacularly new about her look apart from the red tone in her hair, but I feel like she has also grown into herself and her style a bit more, and it really shows. I suppose she feels happy to have a concept that doesn't force her, being the maknae and all, to do an excessive amount of aegyo all the time as part of promotions. 
Score: 10/10

Overall

As a whole, I love the styling for this comeback, because there is not one single member who sticks out like a soar thumb. Then again, almost anything would have been better than the colorful mess that was "I Got A Boy". I like seeing them dress like actual mature women, rather than cute girls, because it flatters their ages so much better. The whole "man-ish" concept that SM talked about turned out to be not so much so, because SNSD pull of the suits in a very elegant and feminine way, and it doesn't come off as them trying to cross-dress. The other styling is quite the opposite, with them having ballgowns and romantic dresses,. However I think that look is perfect for them and their image and Korea's national girl group. 
I also wonder if we will get to see the nurse outifts soon, and I wonder if they'll be able to dance in those. If they did, it would be amazing. 
Score: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment