Sep 12, 2014

2PM Literally "Go Crazy!" In The Best Possible Way For Their Awaited Comeback

2PM - Go Crazy

I have kind of a love-hate relationship with 2PM, because while I love them as people and as a group, their music can be very "hit or miss". Granted, their music has always been catchy and easy to sing and jam along to, but some of it has been quite bad as well. Their 2013 comeback with double title tracks "A.D.T.O.Y" and "Come Back When You Hear This Song" failed to shoot them back to stardom after a two year hiatus, which is hard to understand if you've seen this, they've opted for a different style this time around. Throw that sexy, grown image out of the window, a new and improved 2PM has come out to play.


I went into this with no expectations at all, basically. I had seen the teaser photos, yes, so I kind of knew what I might get, but I hadn't seen any videos teasing the comeback. 2PM has always stood out to me in the industry, and I believe their image and concept is not one that can be easily recreated. From the beginning, JYP promoted this now 6-member team as a strong, masculine and boyish group, and made headlines with performing acrobatic stunts on stage. Indeed, this group isn't a bunch of typical "flower-boys" and all of them are quite manly and mature-looking, and for many years they worked that concept into many of their comebacks. Unlike what they put out last year, this comeback isn't particularly sexual at all. Sexy worked well for them because they all look the part, but what they're bringing to the table this time around is the kind of fun and somewhat insane side that we really haven't seen since "Hands Up" in 2011. The main difference between the two though, is that this time, they aren't even trying to look cool.



From start to finish, this is a fun, energetic and spastic video that mainly serves as an outlet for the members to look and act silly. As someone who has watched basically all of their variety shows several times, I'm not surprised at all by how they're acting and behaving in this video. These guys seem like such a fun group of people to hang out with, no less partying with. They don't take themselves seriously at all, and that's what makes it so enjoyable.

2PM - Go CrazySure, the video itself is really basic and those sets look like they've been reused a thousand times, but I still kind of love it. The concept is 2PM literally breaking through walls to move between different sets, such as a garage, bar and night club. The song is suitably about going crazy for just one night and partying like there's no tomorrow, which is a concept I can stand behind completely for this group. 2PM has always had a bit of that kind of mentality and mindset, and to see them dance like idiots in ridiculous clothes just seems to fit so right. All of them look like they're having so much fun too, and are clearly enjoying this party-theme, which makes it all the more fun to watch.




There are a couple things that stand out to while inspecting this video, and the one thing that grabbed my attention first was the choreography, which has taken a 180 degree turn from the sensual "A.D.T.O.Y". Frankly, the dance routine is awesome, and I think you'd only have to see it once to agree with me. There are quite a few memorable moves, such as the "octopus-arm-move", the "motorcycle-ride", "Nichkhun's-not-so-subtle-drunken-move" and the "happy-train", but I find that every single thing they do is notable. Yes, they look ridiculous but that's the main reason I love it. The routine is hilarious and certainly not a standard K-pop one, and I kid you not when I say I literally burst out laughing every 15 seconds from watching the members work it to the max.

2PM - Go Crazy
Another group, a younger and trendier one perhaps, would have made this video look at least a bit cooler than what 2PM does, but that's the charm of it. I'm not sure if it's intentional or not (I hope it is), but they all look like those guys that still live in their teens even though they're past their mid-twenties. It's funny because they look misplaced, and you laugh at them because they're failing so miserably at trying to be young and hip. The clothes they're wearing aren't really making it better either, because trying to take Nichkhun's hideous patterned suit and Taecyeon and Wooyoung's tracksuits seriously just isn't working. Since it's not meant to be a serious video by any means, it certainly fulfills that aspect.

Overall, both the video and song (which is really catchy by the way, good job on that one Jun.K) really impress me, and I haven't felt this way about this group for a long time. It's funny, silly, entertaining and just the right amount of crazy, and I bet it will be a blast watching this song being performed live. I hope 2PM will get a proper round of promotions and I'm still looking out for the second season of "2PM Show", because the world needs more of these boys and their crazy antics.

Song: 3,25/5
MV: 3,6/5




No comments:

Post a Comment