Jan 21, 2014

Best Of Kpop 2013 - Choreographies



One of my absolute favorite aspects of the kpop world is the dances. I always look forward to seeing what kind of moves my bias groups will put out, and I find myself constantly discovering new routines that blow my mind!


So without further ado, here's my top 10 favorite choreographies of 2013 in no particular order:

Vixx - On And On



This was what turned me into a Vixx follower, and is still to this day my favorite title track of theirs. Everything just worked; the concept, costumes, song and dance. These boys are great performers and a very unified, synchronized and coherent group, and this routine just allows them to shine.

BAP - One Shot




I've said this before, and I'm going to say it again- I loved this comeback with a burning passion, and the choreography is one of the reasons why. I'm upset there's no actual dance version or practice video, but I guess this will do. There's just so much going on, they're jumping and kicking and on the floor doing push-ups. It's looks so exhausting, but oh what a treat for the eye. Although their debut track Warrior still remains my favorite, because that was just brilliant.

Girl's Day - Expectation



I've been a fan of Girl's Day ever since Don't Forget Me, back where Yura had an ugly bob and Hyeri rocked her long hair, but this was the song and dance that swept South Korea away and also found their way to my heart. The suspenders are a nice touch to add even more sexiness to this hot routine. I actually semi-taught myself the dance, well at least up to the first chorus, and I love dancing it.

Nine Muses - Wild



Having 9 members can be a disadvantage at times, but it can also help make an awesome choreography. This dance really makes use of the large number of people in making it interesting and exciting to watch. Sure, there's a lot of walking in and out of positions which can be annoying, but apart from that the girls perform with great precision and energy.

BTS - We Are Bulletproof Pt. 2



I am so in love with this group, to the point where they're probably my favorite rookie group of 2013. All their dance routines have been extremely well done and extremely difficult. They move so fast with both small and big movements but still somehow manages to stay completely in synch, and this choreo is no exception. I have no idea how they do it, but man is it impressive, and that dance break? Just wow.

Sunmi - 24 Hours



Former Wonder Girl Sunmi came in like a wrecking ball and blew everyone else out of the water. This was sexy and sensual in a very JYP way. She's dancing on the floor and on her backup dancers, moving around with fluently and emotionally. The tango styled dance break was also a lovely added bonus to the rest of the routine.

SHINee - Everybody



I have to admit, parts of this choreo are just ridiculous and had me sort of borderline laughing and cringing the first time I saw it. There's just so much randomness going on, but for some reason SHINee makes it work. It's really intense with lots of jumping involved, as well as the machine-like body they form at the end that is really cool. Overall, it's very different and original, therefore earning its place on this list.

Ladies' Code - Pretty Pretty



My favorite rookie girl group of 2013 delivered a stellar performance with Pretty Pretty. The song is so catchy, the video great and the dance is just as engaging to watch. It's definitely on the cute side, but it's a lot more fun and playful, and the male backup dancers play just as big a part in making this work as well as it does. I also happen to adore main vocalist Sojung's voice, she's just fantastic.

Taeyang - Ringa Linga



Strange names aside, it's sometimes easy to forget just how talented Taeyang is when all you can ever focus on nowadays is worrying about his next hairstyle. This choreography could not have worked without him or his crew, who by the way are all killing it. The only way this would've been more perfect is if he could just stick to the singing and dancing from now on and leave that rapping behind.

Crayon Pop - Bar Bar Bar




How can I not include this years mega hit Bar Bar Bar?
I remember seeing this before it blew up and thinking it was really fun and original, and I'm happy that they've gotten so famous now, because I find them unique in the most endearing way. This routine is so different from anything we're used to seeing from a girl group, and that's why it's so fascinating. I also love Ellin after watching her on All The Kpop; that girl is hilarious.

Honorable mentions that sadly did not make the cut:
Xia Junsu - Incredible
B1A4 - What's Happening?
2PM - A.D.T.O.Y
EXO - Growl
Girl's Generation - I Got A Boy

Here's to an even better 2014 with more fantastic choreographies!

No comments:

Post a Comment