Jan 30, 2014

Spica Makes A Grand Return With "You Don't Love Me"


This music video was just bound to be awesome, I could feel it as soon as I saw the teaser photos and watched the teaser video. The 50's retro sound and styling was perfect and the vibe of the song totally had me jumping out of my chair in excitement. Spica has been flawless in their last releases, so I had my hopes up for another hit.







First off, the song. You could tell that Lee Hyori had a thing or two to do with this tune, because it reminded me very much of Miss Korea, (a great song by the way) and totally felt like something she would put out. That is not a bad thing in any way, but I would have liked if the song had a bit more of Spica's identity in it. There's also no clear climax of the song, which is always missed whenever a song lacks it, but I still really enjoyed it and made me want to hear it again. The girls slay on the vocals as usual, and even the token rapper Juhyun get to sing some lines which made me happy because I much prefer her singing voice. My only issue is Boa's singing in the chorus, because it didn't sound quite clean. Maybe it's just her raspy tone that clashes with the song, but I found myself cringing a bit at her parts. It's a shame because she's honestly an amazing vocalist.

Long story short; The video was great, from start to finish. Ok, maybe not Bohyung's awful lipsynching in the beginning but I can pretend it didn't happen. I love these kind of videos that are a bit out of the ordinary Kpop music formula, the same with their summer single Tonight, which was very unlike the usual mv.
Here they look like they're in some sort of dressing room or possibly backstage at some concert venue. It never looks awkward or forced, but instead the feeling is very natural. The colors are warmer for the most part, even the white room, but it doesn't feel particularly out of place anyway. Everything fits the kind of Motown style they seem to be going for, and it feels genuine rather than trying to hard to capture an atmosphere that isn't really there.


There's no direct plot in the video, but rather the girls showing different ways to handle a tough breakup. The song is about realizing your loved one was just playing around and never truly loved you, although you gave your all. It's a bit sad of course, but also a bit nonchalant. They have accepted the fact that stands and are now moving past it. This shows in the video, with Narae eating a mini-sized doll supposedly symbolizing the boyfriend and then spitting it out, as well as the last part of the video. The girls are throwing a party, dancing, eating and being wild and reckless. It's almost like a celebration, like "You don't love me? So what?".
I find the entire attitude towards the breakup as instead of being sad and miserable, you realize you deserve better and instead is happy in getting rid of the person who never truly cared about you.

I applaud the styling of this video too, because everyone looks fabulous. All the clothes they wear are appropriate to the time period in which they strive to imitate, and even the dresses shown in the photos above in this post look great, even though they're actually not that pretty. It's all because they make sense for the concept, and so I can appreciate them even if I normally wouldn't. Also, kudos to whoever put them in the outfits they wear around the 2:51 mark, because that just blew me away. Those are the kind of clothes I can see myself wearing; high-waisted jeans, crop tops and red heels. It's so 50's but with a modern twist and I love it. All the lovely hair accessories are just the icing on the cake. The only part I don't really get are the enormous butt pads they wear and one point. Maybe it's just for the pure comic effect but I still don't understand exactly why, so I'd be happy if anyone could bother to explain to me.



As a final word, I'm very happy with this comeback. Although I wish the song had been just a tiny bit stronger it's still an excellent comeback for these five awesome ladies. This is the kind of stuff they need to be doing, as well as the concept for Tonight, because it showed them being themselves and having fun all while performing the heck out of their songs. What I really love is the fact that they are so naturally sexy and confident in themselves, which really shows both on stage and in the video. I guess it's the sort of thing that does come with age too, because you do get that sense of maturity and self awareness that younger groups tend to lack.
The production value for this song and video was super quality, like with everything they've done recently, and as long as they keep this up I'm going to be one happy fan. 

Total Score: 4,45/5

No comments:

Post a Comment