May 15, 2015

The Original MV For "I Need U" Is Released. I'm Crying.

Guys, I'm serious. This might be the video of the year, and we haven't even entered the second half. BTS are amazing. Their company Big Hit is amazing. Whoever constructed this video deserves an award. Or all of the awards.



I knew I was setting myself up for pain and agony when I clicked the play button, but I could not have imagined it feeling this brutally real. All of the members story-lines are better explained and shown here, as the video is extra long at five and a half minutes, and all of their individual fates are carefully told and visualized, leaving little left for the imagination. What makes it so hard to watch is simply how real it appears, and how I feel the horrible pain the members act out. Since I care so much about them as it is, having them broken down like this kills me internally.

J-Hope collapsing on the bridge, Suga setting the motel room on fire and V actually putting a knife through another man's body is all extremely graphic and painfully dark and horrible, but I'm actually happy they didn't hold back with such a serious topic. BTS have a history of making songs about social issues and the ups and downs of adolescence and I believe this is another step in that direction, but a much darker and mature one. Although the lyrics are about broken love, the video is much, much more than that.

I won't be writing much more about this since I already wrote a review on the 15+ version, but I just had to say something about it. The plot is brutal, that's for sure, and even more so are the sharp contrasts between the sad scenes and the happy ones with the group all together, perfectly describing the roller-coaster that is life as a teenager. It broke my heart seeing them this way, and it broke my heart how realistic it felt and how accurate some of the scenes are for people who are struggling with these kind of issues. There's honestly nothing left to say but to sit back and give them a huge round of applause. Good job, boys. You're brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment