Mar 13, 2014

The Strangest of Names - Idols

Welcome to part 2 of my "Strangest Names" series- The Idol Name Edition.
Having stage names in Kpop is not something uncommon, in fact most idols have stage names. Some are just other Korean names or English names, but then there are those who fit into neither of those categories.



The 3 O's (G.O, D.O & P.O)
Also known as the hairy one, the squishy one and the semi-crazy one, these three men all have something in common. It's not their age, nor their company or group, it's the two letter name. For Kyungsoo (D.O) and Jihoon (P.O) I can understand their stage names because it's similar to their last names, but for Byunghee (G.O) there's no connection at all. All their names sound just fine to me, and I know that Kyungsoo gets called by his real name by fans a lot more than his stage name.



 
The One-letters (L, N & V)
Were their companies just too lazy to come up with some more creative or is there some secret meaning behind their simplistic names? I only know about L, whose real name (and most referred to) is Myungsoo, because his name is based of the main character from the Japanese manga Death Note whom he supposedly looks like. About and V, I don't know for sure, but I like their real names better (Hakyeon and Taehyung).

All of M.I.B, Topp Dogg & K-Much
I don't know much about either of these groups, but their names are just off the charts. Let me give you a few examples: Cream, 5Zic, Sims, B-Joo, P-Goon, A-Tom, Kidoh, Loki, BornUs, G.Low and so the list continues. I just sit and stare in awe, whilst trying to figure out how on earth anyone thought these names were good ideas.

BTS' Rap Monster, J-Hope and Suga
I already mentioned member V above, but he is not the only on in his group to have a strange stage name. First off, Rap Monster is as his name suggests, a very talented rapper, but it really irks me to call him just that. It's even worse with J-Hope, and I think I'm starting to realize the newest trend in Kpop; the hyphen. Suga is cute, but seems a bit misplaced on a rapper? 
The one name to rule them all: Big Star's Feeldog.
I don't know what to say really. I just feel sad, so sad over a such a wasted opportunity. Every fluent English speaker will look twice at this name, just to double check in case they saw wrong, and then continue living their life in regret for ever having seen it. This is not even laughable, it's just tragic. 


If you've payed close attention, you will have noticed the lack of girl groups in this particular list, but there's a good reason for that. Girl names are as a whole nowhere near as ridiculous as the names mentioned above. They usually sound much prettier and also a lot more natural than some of these obviously made up ones. A lot more girls actually get to keep their real names as well, something I wish more boy groups could do too.
Now the big question is; what's coming next? But more importantly; do we really want to know?

No comments:

Post a Comment